Friday, July 11, 2008

Chocolate chip cookies... again

I want to have my own personal perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe, that is all mine and that results in cookies exactly the way I like them, so I am going to keep making cookies until I have it! NOT a bad way to spend the summer! Today, I started with the epicurious.com spiced oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe that I just tried, because I loved the consistency of those cookies. Then, I laz-i-fied:


The laz-i-fication consisted of using all butter instead of 2/3 butter and 1/3 shortening, chocolate pudding instead of vanilla, no nutmeg, just a pinch of cinnamon, and double the salt. Unlike the weird nasty batter of the previous recipe, the batter for these was DELICIOUS (especially before the oats went in, god, I was afraid I wasn't goign to have enough batter left over to make the effing cookies!) Out of the oven, they are fantastic and I think I will definitely make them again in this form, but I think that with this methodology they are now too chocolatey to properly be called chocolate chip cookies. I am glad that I left the pinch of cinnamon in; I think it prevents them from being too blandly sweet. For my next try, I am going to use the same method I used tonight but with vanilla pudding again, and possibly no cinnamon (I think the cinnamon goes better with the chocolate base than the vanilla). Then, I think I'm going to have it!

2 comments:

Iroquois Pliskin said...

First of all, this lag is nothing but an endless parade of awesomeness. Tari and Galen also both gave your photography high marks. If I actually knew how to make food I would get more out of it.

When I look back on my 29 years I have a few regrets:
1) We shall never do any high-level raiding
2) I was not physically present for the events described in your rack of lamb post.

laz said...

I was, in fact, conducting a high level raid when I received my email notification about this comment.

I am buying a bed for my 2nd bedroom (in my palatial midwestern estate), so if I make rack of lamb again I'll let you know. :)