Saturday, July 5, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Bread-- My profile Pic

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go into the archives of my Pastries I Have Baked (and Subsequently Eaten) and The (original) Laz Gastronomique albums from facebook and re-post about all those pastries here with my fantastic color commentary (in part because some of those early pastries are, shall we say, not quite up to my current standards--notably "Ugly Cake",) but for sure I want to get the pumpkin spice bread that I'm using as my profile pic in:


There is so much that is great about this photo, it really is one of my all-time favorites.  First of all, this pumpkin spice bread recipe is one of my favorite recipes that I make, across all categories.  It is completely perfect:  moist, spicy, full of fall flavor, and fall is my favorite season!  The lighting and framing of this photo are actually acceptable for a prop photo, which is unusual because I seem never to be able to get my up close food photos in focus (especially lately,) and usually I cook late at night forcing me to take the photos with harsh kitchen lighting instead of utilizing the nice light that comes through the four windows in my palatial midwestern kitchen.  AND my sister got me this heart-shaped pan from the Good Housekeeping test kitchens when Good Housekeeping moved to their new office and had a huge kitchenware free-clearing-out-for-employees.  So it's a nice piece of cookware, it's from my sister, and it's heart-shaped thus physically instantiating how I feel about this pumpkin spice bread in the form of the spice bread itself!  You can even see in this photo how the spice bread has begun to separate itself from the edges of the dish without me even having to cut it, which warms the cuckles of my cold, bitter, feminist heart both because it reminds me that this bread did actually come out of the dish in a heart shape without big chunks left behind and also because it attests to the skill with which I buttered, floured, and baked.  

Unfortunately, like a total n00b, I have since destroyed this piece of cookware by slicing brownies out of it with a sharp knife, disregarding the fact that it is made of eminently diceable silicone.  Sorry seester! :(

No comments: