Friday, August 8, 2008

Livin' every week like it's spicy asian soup week

This week's spicy asian soup du jour is a Lao beef noodle soup with lots of lime juice :



As usual, I am still sweating from the spice of the soup while I am making this post. I think I'm doing a little better with the 2 jalepenos this week though. Never in a million years would I have thought that the combination of cinnamon and fish sauce could taste better than "vom-diculous" but those flavors come together with the lime juice and tomatoes in this soup to produce a comforting (I think because of the cinnamon) but still interesting taste combination.

I think that I prefer last week's pineapple soup to this one-- I mean, come on, PINEAPPLE BROTH-- but the aforementioned cinnamon, lime, fish sauce flavor combination is so novel that I enjoyed my double sized bowl. Also, I actually got fresh ginger for this soup (usually I use dried), and I think I am obsessed with fresh ginger. I was eating it raw out of the preparation bowl while I was conducting my mise en place. For my next spicy asian soup, I think I will attempt to find a preparation that involves fresh ginger, fish sauce, chicken, and coconut milk. THAT will be a quad-fecta.

Funny story about obtaining the ingredients for this soup: I went to the asian market near my house for the first time to try to get some lemongrass (my normal gringo midwestern hick market doesn't carry it in fresh, minced, or dried form), but I realized when I got there that I didn't know what lemongrass looked like. This wouldn't have been a problem if the produce in the market had been labeled, OR if the produce had not been shrink-wrapped (preventing me from smelling any of it) but it was all either unlabeled or labelled in Korean on its tightly shrink-wrapped fresh from asia packaging. I picked what I thought looked the most like lemongrass, but when I got it out to my car and ripped open the shrink-wrap, I realized that I had bok choi. I HATE bok choi (and think the soup suffered from the lack of lemongrass), but now I think I'm going to prepare it tomorrow to go with my leftover soup just so I can get rid of it.

No comments: