Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Phelps Brownies

We all have to do our part to make sure Michael Phelps gets his 10,000 calories a day: it's our duty as Americans. That's why I made these peanut butter layer brownies for tonight's Olympics viewing:



My guest for this evening's dose of Micheal Phelps "making these men look like boys" (quote rowdy gaines, who knows a boy when he sees one) was star photographer and director / camera operator of Back Seat Twinks 1-6, RJ. He consented to taking some photos of the brownies when they came out of the oven, and I think we all should take a moment to appreciate his artistic vision of the marble effect I created by drawing my chef's knife through the mix of batter and peanut butter cream cheese filling on the top of these brownies.

This recipe called for a 9x13 baking pan, which I don't have. I have a slightly smaller one and a slightly bigger one, and tonight I used the slightly smaller one, because EVERY TIME I have a recipe calling for a 9 x 13 pan I forget that I don't have one, use this one instead (thinking that it is 9x13 because I used it last time I had a recipe that called for a 9x13 pan), and end up with sub par baked goods. The form of the sub par tonight was that even though I baked the brownies for an extra long time, the inside was still not done by the time the outside was almost charred. Bad Sarah, BAD! L2 cook, n00b.

The small portions of brownie that were appropriately cooked were FANTASTIC, and achieved exactly what I long for in a peanut butter brownie (i.e., they are almost exactly like the espresso royale peanut butter brownies but a little softer), so I think that I WILL make these again with the next size up pan, especially because one of my labmates is a huge fan of peanut-butter chocolate items.



A note on my upcoming baking: When I went to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for this foray, I also picked up ingredients to make an almond sponge cake with chocolate buttercream, because that is one of the cakes that I plan to make in a spectacular 26th birthday 1 x 2 array of cakes for my birthday party (I also plan on making another red velvet cake! Red velvet cakes are so exotic and rich!).
The almond flour for the sponge cake was $15 at schnucks but is alleged by various epicurious posters to be only $5 a bag at Trader Joe's. I will have to request that EW take me to Trader Joe's in chicago when we are there on my birthday so I can stock up not just on almond flour, but other non-perishable exotic grains.

Depending on how well the test run of the almond sponge cake recipe goes I might prepare it just as a sponge cake with chocolate buttercream, or I might go all out and make an Opera cake, which would involve making a coffee buttercream, coffe syrup and chocolate glaze instead of just a chocolate buttercream. I'm sure I know which way EW would prefer me to go, but I'm not sure I want to make the extra effort for coffe flavors. It will depend on whether I think the almond cake can stand up with just the chocolate buttercream in the test!

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Woohoo. Yummy Phelps Brownies...and hurray for Backseat Twinks 1-6. I'm particularly fond of Backseat Twinks 2: Peeling My Buddy's Lycra Suit.
--"RJ"

laz said...

Yeah, because jar jar gets a lot less screen time in Backseat Twinks 2.

Laura said...

Awwwwwww, I really wish I could be watching the olympics and eating brownies with RJ and SL!!

laz said...

I wish you had been there as well! I have too many leftover brownies!! Plus, we need a camera 'B' operator for Back Seat Twinks!

Laura said...

I'd be happy to be a camera operator for Back Seat Twinks! What will the name of the next series be? Front Seat Twinks?

laz said...

Or maybe "Back DOOR twinks."

That's probably already been done though. Maybe we will shift genres a little and get in on the olympic craze with "Springboard Studs." Or "Plunging Pairs."