Saturday, September 20, 2008

LM bowl inaugural spicy asian soup

The soup that I did not make yesterday, I made today. Again, I attempted a variation on the quad-fecta of spicy asian soup ingredients: ginger, fish sauce, coconut milk, and chicken:


This week, however, I didn't forget the chicken broth or add too much coconut milk. This spicy asian soup is right up there with my pineapple broth soup, I think. I did forget the basil, so I had to use spinach as the green instead, which I think was not as good as the basil would have been, if I had remembered the basil I think this soup might win for best spicy asian soup so far!

This recipe called for chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, and I am impressed with how much more tender the thighs are, even without being tenderized. I will have to remember that in the future. I also seem to have narrowed in on 1 jalepeno pepper with seeds in being the right amount for a level of heat that my palette likes but isn't burned by.

Now I will eat my soup, and play spore.

3 comments:

Iroquois Pliskin said...

hey laz!

that soup looks tasty. Is is ignorant of me to wonder where I can get the recipes for these spicy soups. The lady and I want to make hot soups, as Berkeley is sometimes pretty chilly and we have access to tons of fresh and cheap thai basil.

laz said...

I use epicurious.com for my spicy asian soup recipe needs. Try searching "thai soup" or "vietnamese soup" and see where that takes you.

Hope that keeps the chill off. :

Laura said...

And yay for spicy asian soup in your LM bowls!!!! I wish I could taste the soup! It sounds amazing.