Saturday, October 18, 2008

In this corner, weighing in at 12 ounces, paaannnnccccaaaakkkkeeeesssss

I made the pancake recipe from Joy of Cooking: All about breakfast and brunch this morning, and it is definitely the best pancake recipe I've ever tried. The finished pancakes have a nice, springy, almost crepe-like consistency. I really need to remember to go to Joy of Cooking more often: every recipe I've tried from in there has turned out really well (shout out to AS, who bought me this resource, several years back.) Joy of Cooking even gives me concise, easy to follow tips on how to make sure my pancakes turn out round!

I wish I had had blueberries or raisins to put in the batter; I think that could have been gonzo. As it was, I only had like 2 strawberries, so I'm not even going to eat these pancakes until I get back from the grocery store with some fruit.

Also, Joy of Cooking tells me I could have put diced bacon or shredded cheese in my pancakes (at the same stage I would have put in blueberries or raisins.) YES.

My plans for this weekend include Moroccan beef stew and bread pudding. Now that I've made pancakes, I don't know if I'm going to feel the need to make the bread pudding, but I am excited about the stew. I felt the need to go in a direction mutually orthogonal to both texas and asia.

Update: If you roll a piece of cheddar cheese up in a pancake, you will not regret it.

No comments: