Saturday, October 18, 2008

(Rockin') Moroccan Beef Stew

My camera is all the way on the fritz these days (but my mom says she'll buy me a new one as a christmas present when she's here next week,) so instead of a picture of the (Rockin') Moroccan Beef Stew I made for dinner, we'll have to make do with a verbal description:

A bed of olive oil couscous is topped with tender cubed sirloin, which has been slow cooked in a cinnamon, paprika, cumin, and cilantro melange. Garbanzo beans, kalamata olives, golden raisins, carrots, and red onion provide texture to this comforting dish.

I should write menu copy, no? I was actually pretty disappointed in the flavor of this stew; despite high ratings on epicurious and an ingredients list a girl can really get behind, it was just kind of bland. I think it needs some sherry or dry port or something in there to hold all the flavor together. The blandness is really surprising given that I dumped like a whole cup of spices in there (and not, like, celery salt and red pepper either. Serious spices! Cumin! Paprika!) I think I actually would have preferred to have just cooked the beef in my Trader Joe's Korma Simmer Sauce and thrown some golden raisins in there instead of making this sauce.

I'm in to the moroccan ouevre with the cinnamon and the olives and the garbanzo beans and the golden raisins, though. Next week: Moroccan Chicken Pot Pie! [Well, maybe not next week, since my mom's going to be here next week and I don't think she'd like Moroccan quite as much as I do, so maybe the week after that.]

PS: Mr. Monk got a bath and a haircut today. He looks very handsome!

No comments: