Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ask and ye shall receive: Recipe edition

Last night I had just loads and loads of nervous energy, so between when I got home and when my cadre of liberal intellectual elites came over to watch the election returns, I HAD TO BAKE! I hadn't planned on baking, so I improvised a little bit. The following recipe could reasonably be referred to as "An Impromptu Variation on the Peanut Butter Jar Cookie Recipe," or equally well as "PRO-Bama Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies," or "ad hoc liberal intellectual elitist poll-watching delight"

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Butter, softened (this is a variation from the jar recipe, which called for shortening. Don't use shortening, it's gross!)
1.25 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tblspns milk
1.5 tblspns vanilla (always add extra vanilla! You will never regret it!)
1 egg
1.75 cups flour (you could probably add even more than this if you are some kind of communist who doesn't like gooey cookies)
1 tsp salt (the recipe called for .75, but I could just TELL it would be better with a little more salt, and I'm pretty sure I was right)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1.5 ish cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I didn't really measure them... I just dropped them in until I got the chocolate chip density I required )

Preparation:
OVEN 375

-- Lightly grease baking sheets. Cookie recipes that tell you not to grease your baking sheets are lies!
-- Combine peanut butter, butter, sugar, milk, & vanilla in large bowl
-- Mix until well blended
-- Add egg. Beat until well blended
-- Combine Flour, salt, and baking soda in small bowl
-- Add dry ingredients to peanut butter mixture and beat until just combined
-- Mix in chocolate chips
-- Arrange on baking sheet. Each cookie should be about a tablespoon of dough, and you can arrange them with about an inch between them (I did two inches last night just to be safe but I think an inch would be enough... they didn't spread out very much.)
-- Bake for ~8 minutes until just set and beginning to brown. Probably it will actually take 10 minutes, but I don't want to say 10 minutes and have you end up with burnt cookies.
-- They will be REALLY GOOEY when they come out, so don't worry that you haven't cooked them long enough: if they have started to brown they will attain a more solid consistency when they are cooled. If you bake them too long though, I think the sheer amount of fat in there will probably result as being kind of crunchy and gross

Testimonial from a member of the liberal intellectual elite: I don't think I want to take any home because I just ate 10. But if you bring them into the lab tomorrow, I will eat them then!

[Unfortunately I ate all the remnants so none made it into the lab.]

1 comment:

Laura said...

Heehee, liberal intellectual elite cookies!!