Saturday, November 8, 2008

With a name that includes the phrase "pork fried," it has to be good

Before I start this post, let me comfort myself with another helping of pork fried rice:


Ah, that's better. I had to use risotto (left over from when I made "Tom Brady" mushroom risotto for the superbowl last year) to make this, since when I got back from the grocery store I realized that was the only kind of rice I had in sufficient quantity (since I haven't even been able to look at it since... the superbowl last year.) Unsuprisingly, I think I would have been better off with a nice basmati.

I also think I would have been better off using more hoisin sauce... I used a little less than the recipe called for since the reviews said the rice turned out to sweet if 2 full tablespoons of hoisin were used. I AM menstruating, but I still don't think my rice turned out anywhere near too sweet, and the flavor suffered from the lack of hoisin.

As I was preparing the egg for this rice, I remembered how much I HATE the smell of vegetable oil. I hate the taste equally as much, so if I make this again, I think I will prepare the egg with butter or peanut oil instead. Vegetable oil tasting eggs are just tooooooo gross.

My nutrient deprived uterus tricked me into buying microwave popcorn and that nasty all sodium popcorn flavor salt on my pork fried rice grocer run, so now I think I'm going to eat some of that. Prepare the ambulance for my sodium coma!

1 comment:

laz said...

I made it again with olive oil, a slightly fattier cut of pork, and more hoisin. Improvement!