Friday, December 5, 2008

Return to Spicy Asia

I didn't cook a single thing the entire week after thanksgiving, choosing instead to eat leftovers, frozen cubes of past soups, and the free pizzas and cakes at various and of the semester gatherings. Tonight I was ready to go back in the kitchen, and I did it in style with a (spicy, asian) Thai red curry chicken soup:


On a cold night after a week of eating pizza, this soup is definitely sitting well in my stomach, but I don't think I'll make it again. On paper, using eggplants and green beans as the starch seemed like a good idea, but now that I'm eating the finished product I think I would have been better off with pineapple, mushroom, and red onion. The broth just doesn't have quite enough flavor for me: I want a lot of flavor in my thai soup! It need some lime juice and garlic in there, at least. It's a little bland and chickeny. I think that's the price I pay for the preparation being easy: it only took about half an hour to prepare this soup from start to finish. It'll be nice to have leftovers, but I think once they're gone I won't be seeing this soup again.

2 comments:

Iroquois Pliskin said...

the basic issue here is that eggplant is total moodge and is tasteless to boot.

I want you to know that spicy asian soub night is now, like, officially a night in the erdelack/ellis household, thanks to you. We usually make the thai coconut milk/fishsauce/lime zest/chicken combo. At the end we ususally add some sambal oleek to add some some spice.

If you ever have a recipe that you like, post it! we all love the laz gastro.

laz said...

As you know my standards in all things are frighteningly high, and doubly so for spicy asian soups, but if a preparation does ever pass muster I'll be sure to describe it in sufficient detail for replication (as the methodological guidelines of my discipline demand!)

It's good to know that people out there are eating thai soup because of me.