Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dinner Improvisation

Tonight's dinner challenge: top sirloin low cal battle! I needed to use some of the top sirloin I bought at Whole Foods while it was still fresh, and what I ate needed to be less than 550 calories. The solution:


Here we have jasmine rice, some diced pineapple, a quarter of an avocado, and 4 ounces of stir fried top sirloin. It was goooood. The success was largely due to the excellence of the Whole Foods meat and avocado. The pineapple was canned- I saw it sitting in the cabinet when I reached in for the olive oil and inspiration struck. I think it would have been even better with fresh pineapple. I kind of wanted to put lime juice on it, but I was afraid that would clash with the soy sauce. Maybe I could have marinated the meat in some soy-sauce-orange-juice before stir frying it. That might have been a huge winner! And maybe prepared the meat with some of the serrano peppers I have. Now we're getting somewhere! That would have added a lot of flavor and very few calories. Next time!

No comments: