Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tacos al Pastor

My tour of the Epicurious low cal collection continues tonight with Tacos al Pastor:


The filling here is pork with pineapple, onion, and cilantro. The pork was prepped for 24 hours in a marinade made of pineapple, white onion, vinegar, garlic, orange juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and poblano pepper. It was spiiccyyyyyyyy. Probably even spicier than it was supposed to be: I did half cayenne and half chili powder instead of all chili powder. But I wasn't going to eat bland low cal dinner two sundays in a row! I was afraid it was going to be too spicy for mr. monk, but he LOVED It.

I think it's pretty good, but preparing it made a big MESS. Partly because I didn't cook the chops well enough the first time, so after I diced them and saw how pink they were on the inside I had to put them back in the pan a second time. It probably would have been really messy anyway, because I had to cube the pork chops with the marinade still on them. My fingers are kind of burning from the contact with all the chili powder.

I froze enough for 4 more tacos, and have 3 in the fridge to eat for this week's lunch. I would come back to these for future taco day, I think, if I didn't have to marinade the pork over night. I tend to prefer taco filling with tomato flavor in it, anyway.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I looooooove tacos al pastor! And these look good!

laz said...

yeah I knew tacos al pastor were going to be my next low call attempt as soon as I divined that they were a spicy pork taco with pineapple in the filling.

Whole foods didn't have any fresh corn tortillas though, so I had to wrap them in lavash. hahahah!