Sunday, September 6, 2009

Veggie Tortilla Soup

This week's spicy low cal dinner is Vegetarian Tortilla Soup:

Oh Man! I never really realized before how in tortilla soup the tortillas get all nice and soft and soak up all kind of flavors. I'm LOVING this. It's spicy, and really really thick-- not soupy at all. It was supposed to have like 1 tblspn of jalapeno in it, but there were some amazing locally grown pepperoncini's at giant eagle today and I put in a whole one. It's also got black beans in there, zucchinis, and tomatoes. I doubled the tomato paste too, to give the broth a little more thickness and acid. It was supposed to have cilantro but I did it with scallions instead. I might try the cilantro next time.

This was really easy to make and only leaves me with one leftover portion, plus lots of leftover nice veggies for the week. I think I would do it again! I can't really think of anything I'd do differently a second time, either-- maybe make sure I have sour cream on hand for garnish?

2 comments:

laz said...

I'm thinking I'm going to make another tortilla soup this weekend.. it's so low cal and flavorful and I liked the soft flavor soaked tortillas so much!

laz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.