Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009: Preparations

I realized that I haven't been posting as much about my Thanksgiving run up this year as I did last year, and there's a simple reason for that: I'm not doing nearly as elaborate a meal. Last year was such an amazing, complete experience that I almost don't even want to try to equal it, and even if I could I don't know enough people in Pittsburgh yet to eat all that food. I don't want to spend the holiday being depressed about the ways that this year doesn't measure up to last year, so this year I'm doing a potluck style meal with my labmate, his roommate, and his roommate's girlfriend, with dual themes of No Thanksgiving Foods Allowed and Wrath of Khan (we're watching the ENT eugenics arc w/ alec newman and brent spiner, TOS:Space Seed, and, of course, wrapping it up with Wrath of KHHHAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!)

For my part, I'm keeping it simple. I'm making The Meat Pie (sure to be a delicious, non thanksgiving foods success) and a 4 layer pumpkin cake with orange cream cheese frosting (new and challenging, and reminiscent of Thanksgiving, but not a food we usually eat at home nor similar to the dessert I made last year which, come on, had CARAMEL frosting a whole different ball of wax.)

I bought my non-perishables at "The Eagle" yesterday and that wasn't so bad (they were out of rosemary but Whole Foods had it today so no problem) but today I had to go to Whole Foods to get my beef brisket. I was terrified about it all weekend, and knew it was going to be as bad as I feared when I pulled up and saw the two COPS directing traffic in the parking lot (There were actually like 5 cops there but I only saw the 2 at first). Thank GOD I'm not doing a poultry or yams-- I was able to stay away from the most mobbed sections of the store. It was so scary! But I got in and out and stayed in my budget (mostly because I was too terrified of the crowd to even browse the centerpieces.) The hippies are raking it in hand over fist though, rest assured.

Oh man, I just realized that this gets to be the first meal I've served on my new china! I'm so excited!

No comments: