Sunday, January 10, 2010

Garbanzo Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup

It's wildcard weekend in the NFL:  two days of playoff games, two days of cooking and watching football.  Wildcard weekend really is the best weekend of the year!  Today's offering was a garbanzo bean and turkey sausage soup:



I garnished it with a spoonful of sour cream and some avocado slices, and I am VERY glad that I have 3 more frozen cubes of it in my freezer for this week's dinner.  I was worried that it was going to be kind of boring and beany, but the 2 tblspoons of lemon juice I added at the end give the broth a bright, acidic note.  I also doubled the amount of jalapeno the recipe called for, and didn't completely seed the jalapenos, so it has a nice heat to it.  I think I like this better than the roasted chicken I made last night!

As additional bonuses, it's pretty easy to make and also pretty healthy:  it's got lots of lean protein from the turkey sausage and fiber from the garbanzos!  I'll have to remember the trick of adding lemon juice to the broth for future clear soups I make!

Time for bowl #2!

No comments: