Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happiness in a bowl

My first attempt at tossing all the soup ingredients I like together in a pot was a SUCCESS:

 

It is SPICY:  I put in 2 jalapenos, 2 hot hungarian peppers, about a teaspoon of tabasco, and like a half a cup of paprika, crushed red pepper, and chili powder.  It was so hot that when it first started simmering just the smell of all the peppers in the air made my eyes water!

There are 2 meats in here (chicken sausage and ground beef) and after simmering in the spices and tomato juice for 2 hours they are amazingly soft and flavorful.  One point five pounds of meat!  Maybe next time I should put in some pork sausage too and go for a THREE MEAT SOUP!  Even with *only* 1.5 lbs of meat and all those beans, it is FILLING.  I ate about half a cup for dinner and was FULL.  I may never have to try another bean soup recipe!  

The ONLY change I might make in future attempts is to use a fattier ground beef.  I used ultra lean (7%) for this, and, fuck it.  Give me full fat, if all the beans are going to fill me up after half a cup.  

It's oddly both freeing and scary working without a recipe.  Freeing because I don't have to keep checking what I need to do next every 10 seconds, scary because I have no idea if what I'm going to do is going to result in disaster.  

**Scraping out the bottom of my bowl** SUCCESS!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Woo hoo! I'm glad it turned out well!!