Sunday, April 18, 2010

chicken pot pie

Nom Nom Nom.  I bought and consumed a frozen chicken pot pie for lunch last week, and it was so good I thought "wow, if a giant eagle frozen pot pie is this good, how good would a homemade one be?"  When I found a chicken pot pie recipe with bacon in it on epicurious, my fate was sealed:


You can't really see the bacon in the filling, but it's there, precious.  Urrggle Gurggle.  The filling also has an entire rotisserie chicken from whole foods, some green beans, carrots, creme fraiche, and paprika (my own addition, for heat), and some onions sauteed in the bacon fat.  Thus, also, bacon fat.

Here's my bad boy out of the oven, and falling apart in an appealing way in my dish, in the moments between when I shoveled it OUT of the pan and INTO my mouth:



I liked it especially the green beans, which was a surprise.  They didn't get quite soft while it baked, so they gave a little texture to the gooeyness, and some surprisingly strong flavor.  I didn't really love the crust I made-- I might even prefer the one that was in my frozen giant eagle pot pie!  It wasn't hard / buttery / salty enough.  I also don't think I used quite enough creme fraiche.  And I think I didn't put enough sour cream in my ghetto-fied half half n half / half sour cream creme fraiche.  I would have liked a sauce that was a tiny bit thicker, and more of it.  What I DID like was the flavor given to the enterprise by the fact that not 1 drop of bacon fat was removed from the pot at any time.  So the whole pie has a smoky awesome bacon flavor.

It had 4 forks on epicurious, but I think I only give it 2.5-3.  I think I could probably improve it if I tried it again, but I don't think I will.  The most enjoyable part of the entire prep, cooking, and eating process was tearing apart the chicken with my bare hands, which I never get tired of.  However, if the prep is more enjoyable than the eating, that's a signal that I can toss the recipe. It will stock up my freezer nice for the rest of the week though!

2 comments:

士嬌 said...

動不一定每一次都成功,但坐而不行,絕無任何成功可言 ....................................................

薇兒 said...

三分之一的人生,可以決定另外三分之二的人生!!共勉哦! ....................................................