Sunday, July 25, 2010

Woman Vs. Food

I can't believe it's taken me this long to post about Woman Vs. Food:  PGH addition.  I think it is because I am intimidated.  How can mere words do justice to the kind of trip where we ate two orders of french fries at a single meal?  Or ate buffalo chicken wings as an appetizer to a six pound rib roast (for three people?)  I think my strategy has to be to let the pictures tell the story. 

When AS arrived, we drove directly from the airport to lunch, where I had a reuben and an order of onion rings.  The rest of the trip was foreshadowed by the fact that we were randomly brought a whole plate of bacon that we didn't order:


For dinner that night, we went to the church of food, which is literally a restaurant in a church.  We had Pittsburgh "salad," which is a sad little pile of lettuce covered with chicken fingers and french fries:


I ordered an additional portion of sweet potato fries, just to be sure.  At this meal, AS made the mistake of wasting room in her stomach on the lettuce, but not all was lost because from that error she learned to not even bother with her french fries at FatHead's, the next day:


I actually managed to eat my entire hamburger, and most of my french fries.  I've been daydreaming about that hamburger ever since.  It had slices of cheese, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and cheese sauce.  AS's sandwich was called the "Beauty and the Beasty" and took about 10 napkins to eat half of. 

After FatHead's, we went home and I started cooking dinner almost right away.  About two hours later, the herb and cheese biscuits were done, and I innocently placed them out on the table and promised not to notice if the pile were to shrink:

 
I didn't notice, but if I had to guess, I would bet that the pile DID shrink substantially.  I made 36 biscuits, and there were only 4 left after AS left the next morning.  This stat is even more incredible because of how much meat we ate:


The roast was prepared pretty simply:  we just rubbed it with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic, and let it cook.  It came out pretty well!  I believe that both participants in the dinner claimed it was the best roast they had ever had.  It was certainly beautiful to behold, and Mr. Monk didn't mind eating it one bit.  I served it with fried onion straws, sour-cream parmesean mashed potatoes, and port au jus:


It was really fantastic.  If there was any flaw, it was that as much sour cream and butter as I put into the mashed potatoes, I don't think I put quite enough and they ended up kind of lumpy.  But that was easy to ignore swimming in jus and fried onions and meat. 

I can't wait to do it again!

3 comments:

Laura said...

All i have to say is OMG. And my stomach is growling now!

laz said...

It could easily be you crying over the hamburger next time LEM. ;)

Jaime said...

Ahh, this dinner was so indescribably good. The meat! The rolls! The mashed potatoes! The company!!! I wish I could re-eat that entire meal this second.

The bar has been set high for WvF: Round II.