Sunday, September 26, 2010

Beef Shiitake Stir Fry

I was flipping through my october bon appetit w/ mr. monk when a recipe for beef shiitake stir fry caught my eye:


It includes some snow peas, hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, scallion, and ginger.  I put in more chili sauce and ginger than was probably strictly necessary, so the sauce was HOT!  Which is the way I like it.  If I had told myself 10 years ago that in 10 years I would love to make my food as hot as I could stand it, I would not have believed it, I used to be such a spice baby!  But now last night when I was eating this, I wondered, "how bland would PK find this dish?  Maybe it would have a bare minimum acceptable spice." 

I stir fried it in sesame oil, instead of olive oil, which is my standby, and I think this vaguely made it taste more authentically asian.  

I think my cooking may start happening more frequently again now that my grant is (almost) submitted and the fall flavors are bustin' out.  I've already decided I'm going to make a pecan pie for thanksgiving (my first one!) and probably some horseradish glazed short ribs.  I also cut out recipes from bon appetit for mushroom risotto (tom brady's favorite food!), german chocolate brownies, maple ginger cake with salted caramel sauce, and maple & chocolate chip shortbread.  But probably I won't make any of those ASAP, it might be more spice and fall vegetable centered running-recovery dishes for the near future, as I've pushed myself up to 16 mi / week and I need to eat remotely decently to sustain it and get faster (like I want, because I am embarrassingly slow now!)

On the other hand, maple and chocolate shortbread does sound pretty effing good.

No comments: