Sunday, January 30, 2011

Curry #2: Garlic Coconut Shrimp

Tonight's curry is garlic shrimp with coconut sauce. My cookbook informs me that its indian name is "lasoon jhinga":


Whooooooo it was spicy!  I had to add some yogurt after a couple of bites because it was burning my tongue too much!

I feel like I must have messed something up, because this one is not even in the ballpark of how good curry #1 was.  The sauce was painfully hot, and really vinegary (although that might have been expected because it had a vinegar base).  It had about as much coconut as curry #1, but it was not nearly as creamy.   It was also disappointing because it didn't make nearly as much as I had hoped-- only 3 tiny servings!  It ended up being about 1.5 hours of work for a sauce that was too hot and vinegary and which I only have 2 more servings of, which sucks because usually I eat my sunday night cooking for lunch all week!

I don't think I'll make this one again.  I really love shrimp curry though (it's what I always look for first at indian restaurants), so I will have to try one of the other shrimp options next.  On the bright side, because it ended up yielding so little, I have about 3 cups of rice that I can make veggie fried rice with easily for dinner next week, so I guess it karmically evens out.  It's also really healthy, only ~300 calories a serving (because they are so small hahah).

Rating for curry #2:  ** (mostly only because I bought really nice shrimps at whole foods)

No comments: