Friday, July 27, 2012

Vegan: Day 1

Yes, you read the title correctly.  I, SL, creator of Champaign-Urbana's most famous "all meat" chili, the woman that brought a meat pie to a potluck at a vegetarian's house, have gone Vegan.  Today is actually Day 2 of the experiment, but I thought the title was better as is.

I went to my Dr. two days ago for my yearly checkup.  Diabetes and heart disease run in my family, and I am substantially overweight.  I'm actually very healthy at present-- my blood pressure is 100/80, my blood sugar is normal, and my resting heart rate is 68.  I attribute this to 11 years of regular exercise.  But if I want this situation to stay the way it is, I need to make a change that will reduce my weight and my chance of becoming diabetic.

My doctor strongly recommended a whole foods, vegan diet, and gave me some reading material to go along with her recommendation.  The nugget of information in the reading material that stuck with me is that it's really hard to calorie restrict when you are not eating nutritious food.  I basically have been calorie restricting-- with more or less success- for the last 3 years, I've been starving pretty much the whole time, and I haven't lost any weight.  One thesis of this book is that if you are going to calorie restrict, you have to eat foods that actually have nutrients in them.  Eat 2000 calories a day of potato chips and ice cream, and you will be starving and fail.  Eat 2000 calories a day of lettuce and you will be so full you will groan in despair.

So, I'm giving it a shot.  I'm going to write about the great veganism experiment in this blog, to keep track of how it's working and how I'm feeling about it.

It's now day 2, and so far I'm feeling GREAT.  It's crazy to me, and I would never have believed it without doing it, but I eat what I previously would have considered NOTHING and I feel STUFFED.  Example, today, this is what I ate:

Breakfast: smoothie of soy milk, banana, and blueberries, 2 soy patties
Lunch:  celery, cherries, and garbanzo beans with lemon juice
Dinner:  1 roll brown rice veggie makizushi, 5 pieces of asparagus in soy sauce

To my pre-vegan eye, this is no food.  In the servings I ate in, it comes out to about 1100 calories (my daily allotment is about 2300 with the exercise I do).  Yet I feel like if I try to eat one more piece of asparagus I'm going to explode.

Let me at that asparagus!

No comments: